To: CIPE <cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de>
Subject: Re: Slow file sharing performance
From: James Knott <james.knott,AT,rogers,DOT,com>
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2003 11:29:27 -0400

Allan Latham wrote:
Hi James

the problem is that the laptop is sending the icmp for port unreachable on the smb dgram port - or better said I am concerned that this is the last thing we see before all activity stops.

Set up the normal configuration i.e over dial up and cipe.

Confirm with "netstat -antup" that you have the samba listening on all the ports it should - particularly the udp dgram port (138).

Confirm that you are not blocking this port with "iptables -L -v -n"

Is there anything in the samba configuration which restricts connectivity to/from specific hosts/nets?

The direct connection test means that a lot of samba must be working - the main differences (beside speed) are the use of eth0 on the laptop rather than ppp0 and cipcb0.

CIPE is used in all cases. The only connection into my firewall is via eth0, no matter which method I'm using.

The results I saw do not indicate a flood in one direction which does not get through - also the packet sizes are small and this isn't an mtu problem.

Best regards

Allan