To: CIPE <cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de>
Subject: Re: Missing messages
From: James Knott <james.knott,AT,rogers,DOT,com>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 12:43:35 -0400

I have now sent out all 6 dumps as separate text messages, with the title "tcpdump...". Let's see if they get through.

Also, has anyone else tried out my configuration. That is using a dial up ISP to connect via high speed access to a local network through a firewall. It would be nice to know what results you get. I'm using Red Hat 7.3 on all systems and cipe-1.4.5-9 on the notebook and firewall. The same sort of problem also appears when trying to access my OS/2 system. Both Allan and I are thinking that it's more of an SMB/IP problem, rather than CIPE.

tnx jk

James Knott wrote:
Do you know if there's a limit on message size? The text only message was fairly long, and the messages with the attached files might be somewhat longer. The files were plain text, with no extension in the filenames. I'll have to try sending them separately, to see if they get through.

Hans Steegers wrote:

Maybe, an attachment mailscanner is removing forbidden attachements.
I received the following file types via this mailing list, so they must be
allowed: .txt .dat .bz2 .log .asc .eml .patch

Do not use file extension associated with Microsoft, such as .doc, .xls,
etc.,
or with executables: .bat, .com, .exe, .pif, .scr, etc.

It happened before that a message (without attachement) mysteriously
disappeared.

I had noticed that earlier, with some other posts I made on another topic. Also, about the same time this was happening, I was missing messages from other mail lists, apparently because my ISP was blocking messages sent to several addresses as "spam". According to what someone else mentioned, they would classify a message as spam, if it was addressed to more than 35 subscribers.

tnx jk