To: "'CIPE'" <cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de>
Subject: RE: Missing messages
From: "Mark Smith" <mark.smith,AT,avcosystems,DOT,co,DOT,uk>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 17:59:38 +0100

One of my configurations is via low speed dialup, another through 150k
broadband, another through 600k ADSL.  All suffer the MTU problem when
routing traffic from machines behind the tunnel, all asymmetric in that
speed differs in one direction from the other.  In my case, part of it is
due to the differing upload/download speeds, part of it is the MTU issue.
I've resolved said issue on linux by clamping MSS forcefully, but haven't as
yet got around to hacking the Win32 client to make the same change.

Without said fix, both VNC and SMB fail to specific locations but work to
others, other services like SSH and I believe FTP work perfectly.
SSH-forwarded VNC to the failing locations works, which is pretty much what
convinced me that MTU was the issue, and fixing MTU made the problem vanish
instantly, proving it conclusively.  I cannot find any point of failure,
however, where ICMP (specifically fragmentation needed) is being dropped as
pings (ICMP echo request and ICMP echo reply) get through.

I have no idea if this helps, I'm just passing on information about my own
experiences.

--
Mark Smith - Avco Systems Ltd
email: mark.smith,AT,avcosystems,DOT,co,DOT,uk