To: "Karen" <karen,AT,netsoft,DOT,am>
Subject: Re: CIPE-Win32 question
From: Damion Wilson <dwilson,AT,ibl,DOT,bm>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 22:38:12 -0300
Cc: cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de

CIPE and IPSec have nothing to do with each other. Completely different
technologies. However, I personally have had a CIPE tunnel and an IPsec
(NAI's desktop product) running on the same box at the same time with no
apparent ill effects.

Many vendors have started using VPN and IPsec interchangeably (notably even
the STSN service in hotel that I am in right now). This could not be further
from the truth. There are many proprietary and quite a few open VPN
implementations out there, almost none of which work with each other.

There are also many products that share the same VPN technology (like NAI and
Cisco both have IPsec products for Windows).

DKW