To: "James Knott" <james.knott,AT,rogers,DOT,com>, "CIPE" <cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de>
Subject: Re: Slow file sharing performance - summary
From: "Les Mikesell" <les,AT,futuresource,DOT,com>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 15:08:25 -0500

>From: "James Knott" <james.knott,AT,rogers,DOT,com>
>  Then some members here mentioned the "interfaces" option
> for Samba, which specify the connections to be supported.  Using this
> option corrected the problem for Samba file access.

The part that I still don't understand about all this is why you have
the port 138 traffic at all.   I was trying to make sense out of your
tcpdump files by observing a connection of my own between a
win2k client and a samba server and could never catch any port
138 exchange that matched the one where you were getting the
icmp response because nothing was listening on the interface.  In
fact there is a firewall between these machines that would block
a server-initiated port 138 packet and it has never been a problem.
I do have a WINS server configured on the client side but I don't
see why that would affect something sent by the server.

> NFS still does not work over dial up.

This one is probably just the transmit window exceeding a
buffer in the dial-in router.

---
   Les Mikesell
     les,AT,futuresource,DOT,com