To: CIPE <cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de>
Subject: Enable/Disable WIN32 CIPE Adapter
From: Phil Scarratt <fil,AT,draxsen,DOT,com>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 21:29:04 +1000

For those who care, enabling/disabling the WIN32 CIPE adapter:

I've just tracked down a method of enabling/disabling the WIN32 CIPE network adapter from a batch file. :)

I don't really wanna know if someone out there already knew . . . took me awhile to track it down....

Why would I want to do this: to make a little connect/disconnect script that makes things look like a modem dialup connection - just to make my customers more comfortable. Idea is to click on this icon that says something like "Connect to <REMOTE SITE>", and when connected the adapter icon is displayed in the taskbar if configured. When the same icon (which now reads "Disconnect from <REMOTE SITE>") is clicked, the CIPE connection is stopped, and the adapter disabled so as to remove the icon from the tray.

HOW:Use a utility called devcon.exe from M$:

Download from: http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/1/f/11f7dd10-272d-4cd2-896f-9ce67f3e0240/devcon.exe

Article about devcon:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=311272

Batch command to use:
devcon disable cipe

You need to check (using devcon) that "cipe" is the hardware id of your CIPE device as I don't know if it always is (I would assume so, or at least cipe and a number)

Fil