To: cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de
Subject: Re: What do you guys think about this?
From: Phil Scarratt <fil,AT,draxsen,DOT,com>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 15:36:07 +1000

Sorry ... just rea the post and thought I'd better clarify:

Phil Scarratt wrote:
Damion Wilson wrote:

Alright. I've just seen this on Slashdot and a few things pissed me off:

1. CIPE has apparently been declared a "dead" project.

Childish...

I'm referring to Gutmann's post here not DKW's comment

2. The cursory analysis by Peter Gutmann appears to have missed subtle things. For instance, CIPE primarily using Blowfish (and not IDEA).

The man himself (Gutmann) includes blowfish and idea in his own crypt stuff: http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/cryptlib/main.html

I may well have missed something here but seems a little stupid (in his words) to attack software that give the same choices (of algorithm) as his?? But then again he's not really attacking the algorithm's themselves (well he is attacking IDEA and DES/3DES indirectly).....

Still a rather childish tone....

Fil