To: cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de
Subject: Re: Peter Gutmann + Slashdot
From: Guus Sliepen <guus,AT,sliepen,DOT,eu,DOT,org>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 19:23:12 +0200
Cc: vtun-devel,AT,lists,DOT,sourceforge,DOT,net

On Tue, Sep 23, 2003 at 01:49:52PM -0300, Damion Wilson wrote:

> Is this thing worth some kind of official response ? I feel that Open
> Source
> VPN's as a whole are being attacked. I appreciate constructive criticism
> but
> the language of Peter Gutmann's "appraisal" is just too condescending to
> regard as beneficial.

I (one of tinc's developers) would also like to take part in an
official response. I don't think it was Peter Gutmann's intention to let
this go beyond the cryptography mailing list where he posted this, but
since it hit Slashdot many people will find his report. He is well known
in the security world, so his words carry much weight. It would be
better if we wrote a strong reply to his one-sided reaction, so people
can see both sides of the issues and draw there own conclusions with
less bias.

I'm also Cc'ing this to the VTun mailing list, I think they would be
interested as well.

    Guus Sliepen <guus,AT,sliepen,DOT,eu,DOT,org>