To: Jake Appelbaum <jacob,AT,appelbaum,DOT,net>
Subject: Re: My response to both the analysis of CIPE by Gutmann, Slashdot and the response by the CIPE list
From: Damion Wilson <dwilson,AT,ibl,DOT,bm>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 19:21:11 -0300
Cc: cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de

I'm certainly not arguing to do nothing. You have misinterpreted my intent.

Peter Gutmann hasn't bothered to understand what CIPE is used for and until
he
uses the product or bothers to communicate with actual users/developers he
cannot make a complete and accurate appraisal. He just can't. When I use "15
minutes" to describe his posting, it draws attention to the fact that he
hasn't tested any of his assertions. Not even a cursory test attack has been
written. He still doesn't seem to know that we mostly use Blowfish.

I saw Eric Hopper's post earlier and the more crypto-savvy members of the
community are already thinking about how to address some or all of the issues
raised, but none are stupid enough to accept this man's word as gospel
without being able to corroborate.

I personally don't care that much about what Peter Gutmann says, even while
accepting that I am but a mental midget compared to his crypto knowledge, but
I do care about the CIPE users. I'd rather that they had the complete truth
about this rather than Gutmann's "drive by shooting" approach and it's going
to take some time to even determine if the theoretical threats form plausible
attack vectors.

If the community does come up with some changes to the protocol, then I will
have to go and implement them. Fair enough. But the seagull management style
just wasn't cool, and insulting a community isn't the way to help it.

I'm not in disagreement here. I'm just arguing for less knee jerking.

DKW