To: "R. Steve McKown" <rsmckown,AT,yahoo,DOT,com>
Subject: Re: CRC32 - thoughts on Gutmann response
From: Damion Wilson <dwilson,AT,ibl,DOT,bm>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 19:33:38 -0300
Cc: cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de

I certainly don't know.

This is part of the problem with Gutmann's purely theoretical approach. He
didn't have to do any real research and thus hasn't provided real exploits.
In a sense, he's provided us with half the help we would need to make things
better, which is ok except for the tone of his first posting. From his
perspective, that's alright because we're so small a community that it was
even plausible to consider us "dead" or quiescent.

Maybe we should engage in attacking the protocol ourselves, using our
knowledge and Peter Gutmann's assertions as starting points.

DKW