To: Damion Wilson <dwilson,AT,ibl,DOT,bm>
Subject: Re: CRC32 - thoughts on Gutmann response
From: Ori Pessach <mail,AT,oripessach,DOT,com>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 21:28:17 -0600
Cc: cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de

Damion Wilson wrote:
What do you mean "lack of response" ? There are two implementations of CIPE, of which at least one of the maintainers has responded (me). I'm doing so much email right now that I've had to stop programming.

I'm sorry. I don't use the Windows implementation, and while I was vaguely aware that you wrote it, and I've seen your messages, I didn't connect the two.

Mostly I meant that Olaf was conspicuously absent from the discussion, because I didn't see his reply until after I sent my message.

Having seen his response, I'm not sure what to think. At best, CIPE will go through a transition phase, when its maintainership will switch from Olaf as a primary author to someone else. I'd expect it to be a while before a fixed, usable version is released.

Seriously, though, I think that we should give Olaf the benefit of the doubt right now.

For what it's worth, I was pleased with his response. It is what I expected to see from a responsible developer, and I was a bit worried when I didn't see anything along those lines on this list for three days.

> And later, if he's no longer able to be involved in this, then
maybe we make CIPE a bazaar-style development project, with a separate protocol group so the real crypto people can bang their heads against it.

I don't know whether the CIPE developers ever tried to solicit comment from any of the crypto newsgroups/mailing lists, but it might be a good idea to do that in the future.

Believe me, I'm paying very close attention.

I don't doubt that.

Best of luck to y'all,

Ori Pessach