To: <cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de>
Subject: RE: CRC32 - thoughts on Gutmann response
From: "Joseph Jamieson" <jjamieson,AT,futurefoundations,DOT,com>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 01:47:16 -0400

> I'd expect it to be a while before a fixed, usable version is
released.

To more people then you would think, security just isn't a major factor.
Cipe is very easy to install and run, it's solid as a rock, and it
includes some good encryption.  Not to mention it's nice and fast.

It's not the perfect security model, but for a good many people, it Just
Works.

At my company, we have set up cipe between many small offices quite
successfully.   They do e-mail and other such things over it, usually
with low end DSL lines and cable modems.  Heavy duty unbreakable
security just isn't too important; if someone is going to spend enough
time to crack the session and read the data, they'd see a whole lot of
nothing.

If someone could come up with a VPN that was as firewall friendly, fast,
and as easy to set up as cipe, but with all the latest and greatest
security measures, great!  If not, I'll still use it, at least until all
the theory is proven and someone actually cracks cipe.

Ps.

"Whenever someone thinks that they can replace SSL/SSH with something
much
better that they designed this morning over coffee..."

Nobody said cipe was a replacement for SSL/SSH.  What an ignorant
bastard.