To: <cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de>
Subject: List structure
From: "Mark Smith" <mark.smith,AT,avcosystems,DOT,co,DOT,uk>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 11:04:39 +0100

I'm going to take a moment to bring back something I mentioned some time
ago - multiple mailing lists.

I strongly recommend we split the list to keep the user requests away from
development or design.  We seem to have need for a development and design
discussion, which I want to keep off the main user list.  The existing list
could then be used for assistance and announcements, which should hopefully
keep the bandwidth down a little.  The new list could then take all the
traffic we've been seeing with regards everyone's desire to help, to discuss
even if individuals do not possess technical knowledge.

I know I'm no crypto expert, but I am a programmer and I'd like to think
I've got a little bit of common sense, I've already been taking a look at
the potential for messing with packets, so as a result I believe I have
something I may be able to contribute into a discussion about the matter.
I've seen many others with similar desires and differing abilities.

We have two user bases - end users and contributors.  Let's make use of this
while we can.

For me, CIPE is simple enough to hand out to end users with very little need
to train them in complexities and to not have to worry about supporting
them.  However, it's not quite there yet, which is why I'm trying to
participate to get it there.  Any alternative needs to work on multiple
platforms for me, which does restrict my options a little, and so far those
I've looked at have proved more complicated to setup and maintain.

Olaf - if you have time to answer, can you let us know how you could
participate in any of this, if at all, or if you could setup website or
mailing list facilities?  If not, could SourceForge?

Take care, and stay happy.

--
Mark Smith - Avco Systems Ltd
email: mark.smith,AT,avcosystems,DOT,co,DOT,uk