To: Christoph Biedl <cbiedl,AT,gmx,DOT,de>, cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de
Subject: Re: difference between using a library or a part of the kernel?
From: hans steegers <steegers,AT,steegers,DOT,nl>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 19:05:05 +0200

Christoph,
> David Brodbeck wrote...
> "The next version will use the cryptographic API". That's what I read
> about cipe somewhere. Or is there a difference between using a library or
> a part of the kernel?
That was my proposal in one of the first postings on this subject:
The new kernels 2.4.22+, 2.6 provide kernel crypto and compression services
which can be used by other modules. Since CIPE's cryptographic routines are
used inside the kernel module you CANNOT use standard libraries.
CIPE cannot be used in the new kernel without many changes, so I proposed to
redesign it a little for the new kernel and address the security issues at
the same time.

Answer: Yes, there is a difference between a library (in user space) or
services provided by another kernel module (in kernel space).

Hans Steegers