To: "Les Mikesell" <les,AT,futuresource,DOT,com>
Subject: Re: About P.Gutmann's critique of CIPE - etc. etc.
From: "R. Steve McKown" <rsmckown,AT,yahoo,DOT,com>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 13:49:41 -0600
Cc: "CIPE-list" <cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de>

On Friday 26 September 2003 11:04 am, Les Mikesell wrote:
> > From: Steve McKown
> >
> > CIPE's total code size is an order of magnitude smaller than the code
> > size of just the openssl library.  Over the life of a software product,
> > there is a direct correlation between code size and both total defects
> > and maintenance cost (time, effort).
>
> I think you should consider maturity and exposure as well.  Hopefully the
> time and effort spent on the larger product eventually result in getting
> the bugs fixed and a larger exposure can result in finding the more obscure
> ones sooner.

Good points.  I think both products show good maturity, although that could
change for CIPE; more in a moment.

It's also true that a larger exposure (i.e. user population) increases the
rate of defects discovered.  Of course, given that a more complex product has
more total defects, it needs a larger exposure to achieve a higher defect
discovery rate to keep up its progress.  This process is often exponential,
so that a more complex product needs exponentially more users.  This is how,
in part, Linux could deliver better reliability than Windows98.  Linux had,
what, 1% of Win98's the installed base?  Yet this was enough to maintain a
product with a much, much larger percentage relative to features.

CIPE is certainly at a cross-roads because of the security concerns and the
changes in developer resources (see Olaf's post) that leave the resolution
picture unclear as of yet.  I think maturity and exposure are sufficient for
CIPE -- if the current concerns can be addressed timely to maintain the
customer base.  If the customer base falls too much, maturing changes will
take much longer, which has a host of nasty consequences.  But don't forget
the benefits of simplicity.  New developers (or more time from existing ones)
will be efficient fast.  A timely resolution and some effort to increase the
customer base pulls CIPE through, in a better position than it was a week
ago.

All the best,

Steve McKown
Titanium Mirror, Inc.