To: "James Yonan" <jim,AT,yonan,DOT,net>
Subject: Re: About Peter Gutmann's critique of CIPE
From: "R. Steve McKown" <rsmckown,AT,yahoo,DOT,com>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 14:11:32 -0600
Cc: <cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de>

On Friday 26 September 2003 12:32 pm, James Yonan wrote:
> Yes, OpenSSL makes a relatively large addition to executable size if you
> statically link in all of the SSL/TLS capabilities.
>
> OpenSSL can also be linked in as a shared library on either Windows or
> *nix. On Windows, the DLL sizes are:
>
> sh-2.04$ ls -l | grep dll
> -rwxr-xr-x    1 jim      Administ  1178769 Aug 13 07:52 libeay32.dll
> -rwxr-xr-x    1 jim      Administ   254171 Aug 13 07:52 libssl32.dll
>
> (You typically need both DLLs if you want to use SSL/TLS functions).
>
> On Linux, nearly every distribution that I'm aware of ships OpenSSL as a
> shared library, so it doesn't directly add to executable size, though it
> does increase the virtual memory footprint of the app.

Understand.  The software we deploy on our boxes currently doesn't require
openssl libs, so they aren't included onto the target device's flash.  If we
were to use OpenVPN and it were the only product using openssl, I'd be
interested in trying to link it statically so the compiler could reap
unreferenced object modules.  But that's *way* off track for this list....

All the best,

Steve McKown
Titanium Mirror, Inc.