To: cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de
Subject: Re: Replays - thoughts on Gutmann response
From: Allan Latham <alatham,AT,flexsys-group,DOT,com>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 09:11:14 +0200

Hi all

I have still not seen this message on the list which I sent yesterday.

Hi Sandino

Thanks for the comment re TCP KX but:

1. An attacker can idenify the KX packets without further effort.
2. Adds complexity to the program.
3. May cause firewall problems.
4. Doesn't allow the peer to change IP address (dynamic IP).
5. Relies on TCP to provide replay protection.

(Note on point 5. This should be sufficient but as one of the attacks
postualted against CIPE involves the theoretical possibility that attackers
can manipulate a TCP stream by flipping bits in the ciphertext then it seems
pointless relying on TCP to protect KX - we just leave ourselves open to more
criticism).

My initial objective is to minimise changes to the program(s) involved. Any
added complexity should be aimed at making the KX fully secure from a
cryptography point of view not just tweaking it a bit.

If anyone has a view on KX problems and how we can improve them I would like
to hear it. Currently I don't have time to look at it in detail.

Best regards

Allan