To: 'Matthew Galgoci' <mgalgoci,AT,redhat,DOT,com>
Subject: RE: cipe_maxdev=(number)
From: Doug Johnson <doug.johnson,AT,vifanusa,DOT,com>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 17:22:31 -0400
Cc: "'cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de'" <cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de>

Well, I was just curious. Thought it may be 255 until I modprobe -c and it
only gave me 4 aliases to cipcb. It doesnt't really make sense. I created a
perl script to auto create the options and if- files, insert all of the
information into a mysql database (of which I also do tracking etc within),
reset the iptable rules and routes accordingly, and bring the new adapter
online.

Our sister office was complaining that their installs were limited to no
more than 10 tunnels. After researching ALL of the tunnel installs, they are
configured properly, but everything after the 10th (cipcb9) does not
establish a connection. A netstat produces all of the udp ports listening
for all of the configured tunnels.

In researching configuration and compile options I came across the
cipe_maxdev= option and thought that Red Hat (which I see you work for) may
have used earlier config options to compile their RPM.  I did not know if
anyone else had the same problem. Looking at my configurations at this
facility I noticed the same aliases issue however we do not have more that 8
tunnels installed.

So I will still research the problem one of our other facilities is
experiencing.  Maybe I will just have to have them send me one of their
failing laptops so I can have a local test machine. :)

Thanks again for the help.

Oh, btw, I hope that tag line is auto inserted..

Doug Johnson
Systems Administrator
Vifan USA, Inc.