To: Doug Johnson <doug.johnson,AT,vifanusa,DOT,com>
Subject: RE: cipe_maxdev=(number)
From: Matthew Galgoci <mgalgoci,AT,redhat,DOT,com>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 17:29:35 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: "'cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de'" <cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de>

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003, Doug Johnson wrote:

> Well, I was just curious. Thought it may be 255 until I modprobe -c and it
> only gave me 4 aliases to cipcb. It doesnt't really make sense. I created a
> perl script to auto create the options and if- files, insert all of the
> information into a mysql database (of which I also do tracking etc within),
> reset the iptable rules and routes accordingly, and bring the new adapter
> online.
>
> Our sister office was complaining that their installs were limited to no
> more than 10 tunnels. After researching ALL of the tunnel installs, they are
> configured properly, but everything after the 10th (cipcb9) does not
> establish a connection. A netstat produces all of the udp ports listening
> for all of the configured tunnels.
>
> In researching configuration and compile options I came across the
> cipe_maxdev= option and thought that Red Hat (which I see you work for) may
> have used earlier config options to compile their RPM.  I did not know if
> anyone else had the same problem. Looking at my configurations at this
> facility I noticed the same aliases issue however we do not have more that 8
> tunnels installed.
>
> So I will still research the problem one of our other facilities is
> experiencing.  Maybe I will just have to have them send me one of their
> failing laptops so I can have a local test machine. :)

Once the cipe module is loaded the module alias limitation becomes a moot
point. You'll
get an error message that module cipcbXX can't be found but its largely a red
herring.

One other hint that I have for you is to NOT put the cipe key information in
the interface
config files in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-cipcbXX, but to leave
all the device
information in /etc/cipe/options.cipcbXX. This has caused me more trouble
that the problem
it was meant to solve.

Another tip is that stracing the cipcb daemon as it is starting is often very
telling of
the underlying problem.

--

Matthew Galgoci         "If you were a woman I'd kiss you right now."
System Administrator