To: <cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de>
Subject: Fw: Packet waits until another packet arrives before sending
From: "Nick Fisk" <nick.fisk,AT,btinternet,DOT,com>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 21:20:37 -0000

Hi,

I have this problem. I have a 2k pro box and a 2k server box connected over
the internet. I think the connection is fine, but I'm getting a really wierd
problem. Basically I can't ping the other side unless I open up two cmd
sessions (be it on the same machine or another one) and both set them to
ping. Just having 1 cmd session pinging the other side just results in timed
out all the time. However data transfer is fine once it gets going. I looked
at the results of a packet sniffer and the ping packets are defintly getting
back but only after another one is sent. Ie if the ping is set to wait for 1
second the ping arrives just after a second, set it to 5 seconds and the
ping arrives just after 5 seconds.

On further investigation I downloaded another ping program that seems to
support pings that arn't in sequence (I guess windows one does not) This
works fine but it relises that the reply pings are always 1 ping to late.

This is what I think is happening. A ping is sent from VPN side A to VPN
side B. VPN side B will not reply until VPN side A sends another packet. At
this point side B will reply. Any clues whats going on??? Some sort of
packet queueing

This is really making file browsing across the link really slow. Normally
its takes like 2 minutes+ to open a folder but if I use this new ping
program to constantly ping every 10ms, the time drops to like 5s.

Although this does fix it, it seems a bit excessive to be sending out
hundreds of pings every second just to keep a link working.

If anybody can help I will be very grateful

-Nick