To: <cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de>
Subject: cipe-win32 service fails to start
From: Rob Nelson <rnelson,AT,internoc,DOT,net>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 22:17:52 -0600 (CST)

Since I have seen this from several others users, I know someone must have
the answer written down somewhere, but I can't find it. On win2k with
various ethernet cards (3c509 mostly) I get the following error message
when I try to start "cipsrvr console" (after which is a diatribe on what I
have done about this.)

$ ./cipsrvr.exe console
[SERVICE_MANAGER] service [CIPE] has already been started
[{7254E77E-BF67-4B6E-90EB-4E50B28F0DF3}] TAP started on
[\\.\{7254E77E-BF67-4B6E-90EB-4E50B28F0DF3}.tap]
[(untitled)] Can't bind to port [3924]

abnormal program termination

[what I have tried]

I have tried every permutation of how to get it started, to no avail. The
service manager says that the program ended unexpectedly when I try that
way. I have tried booting with the service automatic, with and without
auto restarts. I have tried to start it manually from the command line
(cmd and bash), and I have triedto start it in console mode in all of the
possible permutations.  (that I can think of) I have tried downgrading to
the pre14 package (but not back up again). I booted Windows quite a number
of times.

The first installation rendered my networking inoperative. All tcp and udp
traffic attempts were met with "unknown socket error: Operation not
Permitted" After much deinstalling of software, drivers, and registry
etries, I did a repair reinstall, and got running again. (Thankfully
not a _full_ reinstall) The good news: I got _really_ good at rebooting
Windows.

There were a couple of mentions of this on the sourceforge website, and
maybe the list archive, but I could not find an answer. There was one
mention on the sourceforge site of it possibly being a dependencies
problem, and the answer to _that_ was to put "cipsrvr console" into
All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\cipe.bat. I of course did this
immediately. I booted windows some more. It was fun. but not very helpful.

I saw my windows machine out of the corner of my eye, sitting on a yahoo
page, and my brain parsed it as being hung while booting (only saw the
white, not the words); it causes me to wonder, What does one do with
Windows? Mine mostly asks if I would like to reboot now, or later. I
always choose now. Boot early, boot often, I always say.

Any clues would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Rob

(P.S. Had to deinstall McAfee Viruscan...after the windows reinstall it
just wanted to reconfigure windows, and reboot, ad infinitum. I guess it
didn't want the fun to end) ;->