To: Mark Smith <mark.smith,AT,avcosystems,DOT,co,DOT,uk>
Subject: RE: cipe-win32 service fails to start
From: Rob Nelson <rnelson,AT,internoc,DOT,net>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 04:34:59 -0600 (CST)
Cc: <cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de>

On Tue, 9 Dec 2003, Mark Smith wrote:

> [(untitled)] Can't bind to port [3924]
>
> gives alot away.  The thing to check is that you don't have something else
> already using that port.  Either try changing the port (easiest), or use

it is a fairly arbitrary number, the box has (see my note) )_just_ been
booted and there are no connections. This message I have seen from
different  people, with various port numbers

> Having said all that, the most likely cause is that you're running more than
> one tunnel on the same port.  This seems to be a common misunderstanding -
> with the current version, each tunnel must run to a unique endpoint.

I am at this point trying to install for the first time, and verifiy
simple connectivity.

I have only set up the interface (cipe adapter) itself, and one peer. I
have this same setup (same numbers save the ethernet interface) running
right next to it on my linux machine. (same remote endpoint, etc) it goes
through a nat box, and so the remote end should not need any adjustment.

No packets appear on the local ethernet having originated from the windows
box. I do not have a copy of windump to verify that windows thinks or does
not think it is sending packets. several workstations, and routers agree
there is no traffic.

Of course the cipe pipe from he linux machine is not up while I work with
the windows. The windows machine never attempts to connect to the remote
machine via the udp socket..