To: Damion Wilson <dwilson,AT,ibl,DOT,bm>
Subject: Re: cipe-win32 service fails to start
From: Rob Nelson <rnelson,AT,internoc,DOT,net>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 16:55:30 -0600 (CST)
Cc: <cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de>

Damion,

could you send me the registry entries that are made? or tell me where I
need to look?

I am about ready to put a fresh install of windows on a fresh drive,
install nothing but an ethernet driver, and cipe, and would like to be
able to verify that all of the magic is correctly placed.

I do not really understand windows like I do unix, but I am certain that
something is not configured correctly in the installation. (as opposed to
the peer config).

The instructions seemed either vague, or really simple. If they were
really simple, I can't understand what might have gone wrong. If the
instructions were vague, I must have missed something. Please confirm this
process:

(win2ksp4 build 5.00.2195)

Unzip files
Install cipe adapter driver via hardware wizard
edit cipe adapter IP config info
edit cipe peer confg via control panel
 - (should be up and running?)
check service, start if necessary
 - (error messages here)
   here I reboot with cipsrvr disabled/manual and star cipsrvr console
   as the first process other than cmd or bash to get a cli.
   I only get the already started/unable to bind message
   I get the already stopped message if I try to stop it (before or after
    the above)

One other question: How does one properly deinstall the cipe _service_? I
did not get it to disappear from the Service manager list.

Thanks! If there are any other data from my config that would help
determine what the trouble is, I am grateful to provide.

netstat -an shows that sockets are available on the ethernet interface as
well as the cipe interface, but no socket for the cipe daemon itself.