To: Carsten Emde <ce,AT,ceag,DOT,ch>
Subject: Re: cipe-win32 service fails to start
From: Rob Nelson <rnelson,AT,internoc,DOT,net>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 18:37:49 -0600 (CST)
Cc: Damion Wilson <dwilson,AT,ibl,DOT,bm>, <cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de>

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003, Carsten Emde wrote:

> > Install cipe adapter driver via hardware wizard
> I think you MUST reboot here, even if Windows 2k erroneously does not
> ask you to do so (XP, however, does).

I love to reboot. I reboot all the time. Since I use linux for myself, and
only perform client services with windows, basically this is all my
windows machine does.

> > edit cipe adapter IP config info
> > edit cipe peer confg via control panel
> >  - (should be up and running?)
> The cipe service is normally running when you are done with the control
> panel.

hmm. the crux of the matter. it doesn't

> > One other question: How does one properly deinstall the cipe _service_? I
> > did not get it to disappear from the Service manager list.
> Set do "Manual" and not manually started has the same effect as if it
> had not been installed.

No. Registry entries still exist and the service still appears in the
service manager list (as manual or disabled or whatever)

> I just wanted to propose to deinstall and reinstall TCP/IP (e.g.
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=299451) to solve your problem but a
> fresh Windows installation is even better. I am sure it will work.

I will read the above, and try the new windows. May I express my dismay
for a moment that this seems to almost invariably be the solution to any
weird windows problem: reinstall the os fresh? If it does work I will try
to find out what the differences in the two windows installations are.

I am unfortunately not really a c-programmer, or I would dig deeper. I
will read the code nonetheless; where to look?