To: Carsten Emde <ce,AT,ceag,DOT,ch>
Subject: Re: cipe-win32 service fails to start
From: Rob Nelson <rnelson,AT,internoc,DOT,net>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 19:04:58 -0600 (CST)
Cc: Damion Wilson <dwilson,AT,ibl,DOT,bm>, <cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de>

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003, Carsten Emde wrote:
> > No. Registry entries still exist and the service still appears in the
> > service manager list (as manual or disabled or whatever)
> Okay, it *appears* in the list but this is all it does. I am pretty sure
> that appearing in the list does no harm...

It doesn't do any harm to the running system. But, understanding what is
installed might help me to determine what conflict there really is.

> > I am unfortunately not really a c-programmer, or I would dig deeper. I
> > will read the code nonetheless; where to look?

> It's not needed. Simply reinstall. There are hundreds of CIPE
> installations out there that work without any problem every day. Yours
> will as well.

No offense, but there is a reason that it does not install, and unless I
make you all mad trying to figure it out, I intend to get it installed. I
don't like mysterious computer issues. I believe that several
installations (by others) have been completely aborted due to this
particular problem. Since it is probably quite reproducable, I will
install a fresh windows system (on the same box, different drive, and
compare. Hopefully then we can determine what the conflict is.

Before I do so, anyone have a notion as to whether the cipe adapter could
run into a pci conflict with a real card in the box (riptide sound/modem
card, 3c509b, hp pavillion 4450, ati agp on board video, usb)?

Thanks for all of your help. As long as I have three free fingers, I will
continue to install, reinstall, boot and reboot.