To: cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de
Subject: RE: Quake 3 with cipe
From: Rod Boyce <rod_boyce,AT,stratexnet,DOT,com>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 11:10:29 -0800

All,

Are you sure these packets are CIPE related.  I have seen both XP and Win
2000 generate a large amount of DNS packets if set up incorrectly.  Let me
see if I can remember the story.
I set up a 2000 box and gave it a default gateway and DNS that was outside
the lan.  I also added it to a domain that it had not connected to yet.
After rebooting the box and logging in locally I noticed that transfers were
going very slow and that I had a lot to DNS traffic. It appered to me that
the 2000 machine was doing a DNS lookup for every pactet it received and
because the DNS server was outside the lan this generated a lot of traffic 2
to 3 times as I recall.  I solved the problem by removing the default
gateway as I did not need the machine to connect to the internet at that
time.  Once the machine logged on to the domain it settled down and started
to work correctly.  I have seen similar behavour from XP machines as well.

Hope this helps I have been a very happy user of CIPE for a long time now it
just runs they is nothing else I can say.

Rod