To: Damion Wilson <dwilson,AT,ibl,DOT,bm>
Subject: Re: Win 2000 Cipe Question....
From: Mike Gende <mgende,AT,gendesign,DOT,com>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 23:20:23 -0600
Cc: cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de

Damion Wilson wrote:

> When you are pinging, I presume that you are using the CIPE adapter's
> assigned
> IP addresses.

Yep. I should add that I felt I needed to add a route on the Win2000 to the
Linux
box. I didn't see one that looked like it would help on Win2000 despite the
cipe
device being up and functional. The gateway and remote end showed the
loop-back
device via the route command (shrug). Frankly, I'm not quite sure how I
managed
to get the Linux side to see it as the Win2000 end has the dynamic IP address.
Sort of fell down the stairs and landed on my feet.

> Make sure that the netmask for the CIPE adapter allows the packet for the
> destination address to go that way. CIPE-Win32 acts like an Ethernet
> interface, so the two peer addresses must be on the same subnet. CIPE on
> Linux uses point to point semantics, so it doesn't care that the two
> addresses are on different subnets.

I did not understand that, thank you. We have the Win2000 laptops configured
on
their own subnets as we do with all of our many other (Linux) cipe
connections.
We'll change that and see how she flies.  I'll post back in either event for
anyone else that my be interested.

> I didn't answer right away because I took a vacation without the laptop.
> This
> appeared to make the wife happier for some reason.

Oh, I sent the query today and you came back in only a few hours. I pay for
longer response times, no complaints here.  A wife? Oh, yes. I have one of
those
upstairs and children too. I shall have to go up and introduce myself
sometime.

Many thanks indeed for the (free) advice.

Mike