To: Damion Wilson <dwilson,AT,ibl,DOT,bm>
Subject: Re: cipe-win32 service fails to start
From: Carsten Emde <ce,AT,ceag,DOT,ch>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 08:49:47 +0100
Cc: bhein,AT,bmc-pos,DOT,com, cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de

Furthermore, I don't seem to see that the Win32 virtual adapter driver is at fault here. If so, his OS would be crashing.
Yes, I think so as well.

As far as "beta" goes, I'm following the more stringent, unwritten guidelines of Open Source. As long as I feel that the software isn't "perfect", I'll keep calling it beta, but I'm still using it myself in production. I just installed another one last week.
Yes, again, there are many CIPE installations I know of that work
without any problem day by day. CIPE is at least as stable as the
average Windows payware. There is one (well known) weakness, however:
NEVER suspend the CIPE adapter, NEVER allow the computer to go to power
save mode with the CIPE service running. This will, either immediately
or up to several minutes later, cause a BSOD. If you really need one of
these features, stop the CIPE service before you do so. As far as I
know, this is the only problem - but it has a workaround.

Brad, what was the problem with your installation? Why "did it fail"?
What are "these recurring problems" you noted? Why was it "unstable"?
Posting such statements without giving us a chance to fix them is not
only unfair but also a misunderstanding how Open Source development works.

Carsten.