To: Damion Wilson <dwilson,AT,ibl,DOT,bm>
Subject: Re: cipe-win32 service fails to start
From: bhein,AT,bmc-pos,DOT,com
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 08:15:51 -0500
Cc: cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de

Damion, I gave it a shot a couple of months ago. I devoted several weeks to
trying to get it to work, stably on my laptop and on a Win2kServer box. In
the long run it was unsuccessful. on the 2kserver box, the second and third
ethernet adapters would not show up in networking sometimes, to fix it I
disabled CIPE. Other times, the cipe interface would come up but would not
actually work. It would jump up to 100% cpu utilization and remain there
until the service was restarted. As far as installing it on my laptop, it
became completely unstable after installing cipe. I had several BSODs, 100%
cpu utilization problems, and the cipe interface didn't always start
successfully (yes, I used the delayed start approach).

These kinds of problems didn't have aparent, immediate solutions for a guy
without the sourcecode and knowledge of Win32 programming. As far as I can
see, the source code (for cipe32) is not available, and the last release of
the binarys was 03.30.2001. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

--Brad

|         |           Damion Wilson    |
|         |           <dwilson,AT,ibl,DOT,bm> |
|         |           12/17/2003 07:59 |

  |       To:       bhein,AT,bmc-pos,DOT,com
                                                          |
  |       cc:       cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de
                                                          |
  |       Subject:  Re: cipe-win32 service fails to start

Furthermore, I don't seem to see that the Win32 virtual adapter driver is
at
fault here. If so, his OS would be crashing.

I'm much more interested in finding out what is happening with his install,

even to the point of getting him on the phone.

As far as "beta" goes, I'm following the more stringent, unwritten
guidelines
of Open Source. As long as I feel that the software isn't "perfect", I'll
keep calling it beta, but I'm still using it myself in production. I just
installed another one last week.

DKW