To: "Stramigioli, S" <S.Stramigioli,AT,el,DOT,utwente,DOT,nl>
Subject: Re: Basics
From: Mark Cooke <mpc,AT,star,DOT,sr,DOT,bham,DOT,ac,DOT,uk>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2003 13:08:21 +0000
Cc: cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de, Helpdesk,AT,snt,DOT,utwente,DOT,nl

Tips:

1. Use RFC 1918 addresses for your VPN endpoints.
   Ie, 192.168/16
       172.16/12
       10/8

   If there are other private network areas in use, pick a
   different set of addresses but still from the ranges above.

2. In your setup you have VPNs:

   a.   From A to UNI
   b.   From B to A
   c.   From C to A

3. Routes:

   a.   At uni VPN endpoint:

        Routes to the B side of A-B's vpn endpoint and C side of
        A-C's VPN endpoint via A-side of Uni-A's endpoint

   b.   At A:

        No additional routes needed.

        Possibly a route to the entire uni subnet via uni endpoint
        and if so, you also need a specific route to the UNI VPN
        endpoint out of A's ethernet or else you'll have a routing
        loop and your CIPE packets will try to 'retunnel'

   c.   At B/C:

        Routes to uni endpoint via A-side of B-A's endpoint
        Possibly routes to entire uni subnet via A-side of
        B-A's endpoint

        Similar for the C VPN.

Note these routing rules can rapidly get quite complex, and they are a
pain to maintain.  In a larger environment, you might try running a
routing daemon.

Seasons greetings to all,

Mark