To: James Knott <james.knott,AT,rogers,DOT,com>
Subject: Re: Speed Question
From: "Dick St.Peters" <stpeters,AT,NetHeaven,DOT,com>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 15:01:54 -0500
Cc: cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de

James Knott writes:
> Bruce Sackett wrote:
> > I am running into what appears to be some slow connections across
> > multiple CIPE connections.  Ping rates are extremely good, but data
> > transfer across these connections is reportedly very slow.  Most
> > transfers across these connections are SQL queries and responses at this
> > point, with some file transfers.  In many cases these queries are quite
> > large, or are many many small ones.
> >
> > Any possible suggestions as to what I can check on this, or
> > settings/options I should look at?
>
> I had a similar problem with Samba & NFS a few months ago.  The Samba
> problem was cured with the "interfaces" option in smb.conf.  I never did
> get the NFS problem resolved.

Most NFS over CIPE problems can be solved by using the NFS mount
options "wsize=1024,rsize=1024".  This makes NFS use read and write
sizes small enough to fit into a single CIPE packet.  By default it
uses read/write sizes large enough to require fragmented NFS packets
that sprawl across multiple CIPE packets.

--
Dick St.Peters, stpeters,AT,NetHeaven,DOT,com