To: <cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de>
Subject: Is CIPE the right solution for my needs?
From: "Jeff Rago" <JR,AT,JRago,DOT,com>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 15:44:23 -0500

        I have a RedHat 9 server running SAMBA 3 sharing out directories to
several
WinXP Pro clients on the LAN.

        The server is using iptables to do NAT (masquerading) to allow the LAN
internet access through a T1 with a static IP address.  (A dial modem is
also available on the server)

        I have a need to have three remote WinXP Pro users access the SAMBA
shares
on the server.

        The will be accessing the internet from various locations with or
without
NAT routers. Sometimes via dialup from hotel rooms and sometimes via
broadband (cable or ADSL) from home.

        I have determined that an IPSEC VPN is not appropriate due to the NAT
issues.  (Is this correct?)

        What I have read about CIPE seems to indicate that it will work in
this
configuration but the scarce documentation is not totally clear.

        If CIPE is appropriate for my needs - any suggestions on how to go
about
implementing it?

        I am very well versed in Windows NT (4.0, 5.0 and 5.1), RedHat Linux
and
networking but a little light on VPNs.

        Thanks in advance.

Jeff Rago