To: cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de
Subject: Setting up Samba over a CIPE-tunnel
From: Marius Flage <marius,AT,flage,DOT,nu>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 17:08:23 +0100 (CET)

Hi there

I just saw the previous post that addressed the possibility of this
setup, but I'm curious about the specifics.

At the moment I'm using a central server running pkcipe that serves as a
"hub" for the different peers (three in total, all of them are
well-hidden behind NAT, and that's why I'm using the central server that
has a publicly routable IP).

Anyway, I want to set up a windows networking-environment with the
different tunnels into a big one. Each side on the tunnel is already
running a fully functional network neighbourhood, all with Samba-servers
serving as master browsers (the cipe-tunnels are also established from
the same server). The only server not running samba is the central hub.

So, the network looks something like this:

Peer A has the physical network 192.168.100.0/24 and has established a
cipe-tunnel to the hub over 192.168.10.0/24 (hub has .1 and peer has .2,
this goes for every other peer).

Peer B has the physical networks 192.168.1.0/24 and 192.168.2.0/24 and
is connected to the central hub over the 192.168.11.0/24-network.

Peer C has the physical network 192.168.20.0/24 and is connected over
192.168.12.0/24.

Problem is, all the different peers can disappear at any time, the only
server that stays up all the time is the hub. So, running a WINS server
on either of the peers isn't guaranteed to work. The option could be to
run the WINS server on the hub, but I'm not running Samba there.

Can anyone give me hints to a fully working Samba-solution with DNS and
everything in place? I'd love to see example configurations too.

Marius