To: <cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de>
Subject: RE: Setting up Samba over a CIPE-tunnel
From: "Joseph Jamieson" <jjamieson,AT,FutureFoundations,DOT,com>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 13:27:49 -0500

If you were using Microsoft WINS servers, you could simply set up a
local WINS server at each location and replicate them back and forth to
each other.   This would solve your problems.

Unfortunately, you can't really do that with Samba.   Apparently there's
some new functionality in Samba 3 that may allow for WINS replication
but I haven't looked at it.  Might be worth a look.

Another approach is to use a Dynamic DNS type setup for basic name
resolution, but this won't really help for domain controller type
netbios records.

If you set up the WINS server on the hub as you suggested, it could
possibly work for you but you said you don't run Samba there.  Plus,
WINS queries over the WAN would be extra traffic and kinda slow for the
workstations, especially if their WAN connection is the one that's down
and they can't contact the WINS server.

It's a dilemma!