To: "Mackay, Scott" <SMackay,AT,progeny,DOT,net>
Subject: Re: CIPE & Linux bridging
From: Ravi <ravivsn,AT,roc,DOT,co,DOT,in>
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2004 09:52:47 +0530
Cc: cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de

Hello All,

I am newbie to cipe and its mailing list. Me too looking for the same set-up. Please help out.
I am working on the code, if any body have made cipe work without encryption and in bridge mode encapsualating mac packets over UDP, please point out and I wont reinvent the wheel. :)

Thanks in advance,
-Ravi

Mackay, Scott wrote:

Hello!
I had some questions about the CIPE and bridging.
I would like to establish a CIPE tunnel between 2 IPs. The machine running the CIPE would be a dual homed linux box (2.4.25 or 2.6.x) running ebtables, so the nics are bridged. The tunnel destination would be an IP on the same subnet.
Questions:
1. Are broadcasts and multicasts supported across the CIPE tunnel? 2. Where in the packet process flow are the packets placed into the CIPE tunnel? Of concern is where in the iptables flow does it occur (before,after,in the middle)?
3. Can a tunnel be established without encryption? If not, is there a simpler application which could create a non-encrypted tunne?
Thanks in advance!!
-Scott