To: cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de
Subject: Re: Linux 2.6
From: Eric Mathew Hopper <hopper,AT,omnifarious,DOT,org>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 11:11:00 -0700

On Wed, May 26, 2004 at 01:21:10PM -0400, Dick St.Peters wrote:
> Les Mikesell writes:
> > Fedora core2 seems to have removed CIPE due to incompatibility
> > with the 2.6 kernel.  Is this likely to change or will it be
> > necessary to change to ipsec or openvpn when upgrading?
> >
> > ---
> >   Les Mikesell
> >    les,AT,futuresource,DOT,com
>
> I have CIPE 1.6.0pre1 running on a number of 2.6.6 systems.  It
> requires this small patch that was posted to cipe-l on April 16 by
> Alexej Davidov <alexej.davidov,AT,gmx,DOT,net>:

I've gotten this message 3-4 times.  Something seems to be going wrong.

One other thing though...

Linux 2.6 has IPSEC built in, and IPSEC has a UDP tunneling standard.
So, I would suggest eventually moving over to it.  I suspect, in the
future, a lot of Ethernet cards (and possibly even motherboards) will
start having hardware built in that's specifically designed for IPSEC
acceleration.

Have fun (if at all possible),
--
"It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God.
It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."  --- Thomas Jefferson