To: cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de
From: Richard Schaal <richschaal,AT,netscape,DOT,net>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 07:13:46 -0700

The owner of the list needs to change the configuration file for the list to enforce restricted posting by setting the restrict_post variable.

I think I would set the value not to the list of subscribers, but to a file with only one bogus,AT,bogus,DOT,org address. In about an hour or two ( based on twice the cycle time of the loop, the value can be reset back to the original setting, and we'll all have to learn not to CC the list.

From the majordomo FAQ:

     3.6 - How can I restrict a list such that only subscribers can
     send mail to the list

See the restrict_post variable in the config file. Just set it to the filename that holds the list of subscribers, which is just simply the name of the list. ("restrict-post = listname"). However, there is an issue to keep in mind. Majordomo works by filtering the messages coming in through the "listname" alias, doing its dirty work, then passing the resulting message out to another alias you define like "listname-outgoing". If you trust people to not send mail directly to the "listname-outgoing" alias, then you'll be fine. If however you're not trusting, there are several steps to make sure people don't bypass the restrictions of the list.

Ultimately, it would be a good idea to report this incident as a bug so the majordomo gurus can either fix it or show us what went wrong in the configuration.

Regards,
Richard Schaal