<< | Thread Index | >> ]    [ << | Date Index | >> ]

To: Ravi Kumar <ravivsn,AT,rocsys,DOT,com>
Subject: Re: problem with cipe on x86_64
From: Tanel Kindsigo <tanel,AT,kivilinn,DOT,tartu,DOT,ee>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 13:48:43 +0300 (EET DST)
Cc: Richard Gregory <R.Gregory,AT,liverpool,DOT,ac,DOT,uk>, <cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de>
In-reply-to: <41344142.1060600@rocsys.com>

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004, Ravi Kumar wrote:

> Tanel Kindsigo,
>  Did you by any chance have the transfer rates measured? If so, share 
> with us.

yeah.
so i have 100Mbit fibre channel. routers were 100MHz and 200MHz Pentium 
with RH 7.3. Behind one router is Samba domain server, behind the other 
router is XP domain client.

Then I tried to copy 50MByte file from samba to XP and vice versa.

With Cipe I got 490KB/s. That's not enough for 20 computers to log onto 
domain server with reasonable time speed. Directory browsing with 
windows explorer was also slow.

So I compiled Vtun with no compression (slow cpu-s, you know) and made 
exactly same tests.
I got 700KB/s. That's a bit better, but still not enough for 20 computers
(directory browsing with windows explorer was nice though).

So I replaced P100 with PII-366, the other end remained at 200MHz.
Now I got 1300KB/s (~10Mbit/s) to both directions. Logging onto domain 
with 2 computers at the same time was just great. Now i have to try with 20 
computers, hope it's also fast enough.

Soon I plan to replace P200 with P400 and hope to get even better speeds.


<< | Thread Index | >> ]    [ << | Date Index | >> ]