To: cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de
Subject: Re: kernel 2.6.7 kernel oops and panic
From: Sascha Wuestemann <sascha,AT,killerhippy,DOT,de>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 12:16:23 +0100

On Tue, Nov 23, 2004 at 07:04:37PM +0100 or thereabouts, Sascha Wuestemann
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have kernel 2.6.8 at machine (A) and kernel 2.6.7 at (B) with cipe
> version 1.6.0.
>
> I have had no problems with compiling and at (A) I have no problems with
> the module nor the daemon nor with pinging.
>
> But (B) has problems. After succesfully loading the cipc module,
> starting the daemon with
>       /usr/local/sbin/ciped-c -o /etc/cipe/options
> I get a kernel oops, though the device cipc0 is up and the net route is
> established.
>
> Pinging at (B) the local cipc ip address works well, but when pinging the
> remote cipc ip address at (A) I get a kernel panic due to an interrupt
> exception.
>
> (A) is a debian/testing and (B) gentoo.
>
> I am working on testing different kernel configs in the hope, that this
> is the reason for the problem. If so, I will report again.

Hi,

I have succesfully found the kernel config parameter which caused the
trouble at (B).

It is:

config REGPARM
        bool "Use register arguments (EXPERIMENTAL)"
        depends on EXPERIMENTAL
        default n
        help
        Compile the kernel with -mregparm=3. This uses an different ABI
        and passes the first three arguments of a function call in registers.
        This will probably break binary only modules.

        This feature is only enabled for gcc-3.0 and later - earlier compilers
        generate incorrect output with certain kernel constructs when
        -mregparm=3 is used.

Now starting cipc-d gives no kernel-oops anymore and I don't have a
kernelpanik when comunicating over the cipc0 interface neither.

cu
Sascha