To: Mark <msalists,AT,gmx,DOT,net>
Subject: RE: Routing between VPN subnets
From: Les Mikesell <les,AT,futuresource,DOT,com>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 12:44:44 -0600
Cc: "'Andreas Grabner'" <andreas,AT,grabner-it,DOT,at>, cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de

On Wed, 2004-12-08 at 11:37, Mark wrote:
> Well, it works if I add the respective routing to each machine at location A
> and location B.
> I just wanted to avoid having to setup special routing on each computer, I
> just wanted to do a routing in the router itself and that's it.
> But I guess that only works if I NAT the real origin IP back to the
> corresponding VPN IP in the router, which will be a pain as well -
> especially since there is already a whole bunch of other mapping going on in
> that router...

You can install quagga (zebra) on both ends and run rip or ospf routing
protocols.  I haven't done this over cipe but would expect it to
work if you use ifconfig to enable multicast on the interface.

Then you would configure each node to announce to the other(s) what
routes to send and only have to make changes locally if the
network changes.  This is probably only worth the trouble if you
plan to make redundant or dynamic connections. Otherwise for a
small network static routes work pretty well. Since you mentioned
fedora1 you should have a fill-in-the-form place to add CIPE
tunnels and associated routes in the 'redhat-config-network' GUI.
Or, you can put the routes in the ifup script as in the examples.

---
  Les Mikesell
   les,AT,futuresource,DOT,com