To: cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de
Subject: CIPE server for 100's of CIPE links?
From: Brad Parker <brad,AT,heeltoe,DOT,com>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 12:06:59 -0500

Hi,

I've used CIPE for single point to point links and it worked well.

Now I have a VPN application where I have potentially 100's of remote
sites which could connect.  The remote devices are small embedded
systems without a lot of resources.

At any one time only a handful will actually be connected but each will
have a different key.

I'm concidering writing a simple userland "cipe router" which will
terminate a cipe connection and then route packets to a local interface
via tun/tap.

Speed is not a huge issue so a userland app should work fine.

Has anyone done this already?  Am I crazy to try? :-)

(n.b.  I've written many userland packet routers so I know the concept
will work for my application; having said that I'm open to criticism of
the idea)

thanks!

-brad