To: <cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de>
Subject: RE: Cipe still vulnerable?
From: "Mark Smith" <mark.smith,AT,avcosystems,DOT,co,DOT,uk>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 16:58:12 -0000

Les,

> Another alternative is OpenVPN, but it looks much more difficult to
> configure, especially compared to the RedHat releases that included
> CIPE and made it a fill-in-the-form setup.

I use OpenVPN, it is extremely easy to use and configure, and the examples
provided are clear and relevant.  It only took me about 2 minutes to setup a
shared key tunnel, and about 5 minutes to setup a PKC authenticated tunnel.

Another benefit I've found over CIPE is that it does not require a kernel
module that is version specific - I can upgrade my kernel and not have to
recompile anything.  The current version is stable, even though it is
labelled as beta, and has a Win32 version that works well, even under XP
SP2.

For reference, I've never used RedHat, so if they've provided a nice
graphical interface and that's what you're looking for, then yes, OpenVPN
doesn't have one of those.

HTH.

--
Mark Smith - Avco Systems Ltd                        Tel: +44 (0)1784 430996
email: mark.smith,AT,avcosystems,DOT,co,DOT,uk                  Fax: +44