To: Scott Tam <defect.me,AT,gmail,DOT,com>
Subject: Re: Syntax error near unexpected token `UTS_RELEASE,'
From: "Dick St.Peters" <stpeters,AT,NetHeaven,DOT,com>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 12:37:51 -0500
Cc: cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de

Scott Tam writes:
> Sorry if this a trivial question, but i'm completly new to linux and cipe
>
> I get an error message:
>
> checking for kernel version... ./configure: line 2540: syntax error
> near unexpected token `UTS_RELEASE,'
> ./configure: line 2540: `AX_MACRO_STR(UTS_RELEASE, linux/version.h)'
>
> could someone please help me please?

Hi,

It looks like you are trying to build cipe without having a kernel
build directory.  It also looks like you're not using the latest cipe
release.

To build cipe you need to have a kernel source directory that has been
used to build a kernel.  The process of building a kernel creates a
file include/linux/version.h, and in that file UTS_RELEASE is defined
as a string with the full kernel version (as returned by "uname -r").

If you didn't have a kernel source directory you'd get a diffferent
error, so presumably you have one.  You'd also have gotten a differnt
error with a clean, unused source directory with no version.h file.
It looks like you have a source directory with a version.h file that
has no UTS_RELEASE definition in it.  This should not happen without
someone manually creating an incomplete version.h file.

I think the reference to line 2540 implies you're using a pre-release
version of cipe 1.6.  Version 1.6.0 has been out for some time, and
for it the UTS_RELEASE check is usually done at about line 2100.

If you're "completly new to linux", trying to build cipe is a tough
place to start.

--
Dick St.Peters, stpeters,AT,NetHeaven,DOT,com